Eligibility and Important Deadlines
Who is eligible?
All sophomore and junior Crimson Scholars (min. cumulative GPA of 3.5).
Students at community college campuses may apply but must enroll at the main NMSU campus by the time of the award.
How does this scholarship benefit me?
The scholarship recipient will receive up to $5,000, paid during the student’s junior year or the summer prior to the student’s junior year (depending on class standing), to cover the student’s expenses for the special travel/research experience designated in the student’s proposal.
The scholarship recipient will be named the 2019 Honors College Scholar.
When do I go abroad?
Candidates selected as sophomores must use the scholarship during the summer after their sophomore year, or during their junior year.
Candidates selected as juniors must use the scholarship during the summer after their junior year.
Soft Deadline for notifying the Honors College of your interest in applying is (5 pm) Friday, Feb. 8th, 2019.
- After securing the agreement of a Faculty mentor, the applicant should notify the Honors College of their interest by providing the Honors College with a very brief (1-2 paragraph) summary or abstract of your proposed project, including a possible research topic and international location.
- Ideally, have a mentor who has agreed to support your project identified before submitting your statement of interest.
- link to an example of abstract.
- Notification can be made by contacting Tim Ketelaar at Ketelaar@nmsu.edu or (575) 405-3729 or by contacting Valerie Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-2005. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Dr. Ketelaar is available to assist you in putting together your application.
- Within 48 hours of submitting your notification of interest, you will be contacted by the Honors College to verify that the brief summary description/abstract of your proposed project is consistent with the eligibility requirements. You will also receive feedback on any issues (e.g., travel logistics, IRB, etc.) that may need to be addressed in your Final Application (Due in March).
Final Deadline for submitting the application is (5 pm) Tuesday, February 22nd, 2019.
The final application should include:
- Completed Application Form (application link coming soon)
- A Cover Letter (1-2pp) written by the student summarizing why the student is applying and his or her long-range goals and plans.
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae or Résumé
- Applicant’s Personal Statement (500 – 1000 words)
- Project Proposal (includes: Title of the Project, your name, a 100-word abstract, a 500 – 1000 word statement describing proposed the travel/research experience).
- One page budget summary (budget form link coming soon)
- One letter of endorsement from the Faculty Mentor
- Applicant’s second letter of endorsement from a Faculty member
Assistance in preparing your Final Application can be provided by the Honors College by contacting Tim Ketelaar at Ketelaar@nmsu.edu or (575) 405-3729 or by contacting Valerie Torres at email@example.com or (575) 646-2005. Applicants may be granted a 1-week extension to the Application Submission Deadline to address minor revisions or inclusion of supplemental material.
Interviews with Finalists will be conducted during the week of March 4th to 8th and the selection of the 2018-2019 Honors College Scholar will be announced that same week.
Tim Ketelaar at Ketelaar@nmsu.edu or (575) 405-3729
Valerie Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or (575) 646-2005